2013 is being touted as one of the worst years for abortion rights in decades
- In 2013 22 states passed restricted access to abortion
- In 2013, 70 state-level abortion restrictions were enacted, the second highest number ever enacted in a single year
- 45% of the laws fell into 4 categories:
- Bans on abortions performed after 20 weeks of pregnancy
- Targeted Restrictions on Abortion Providers (TRAP) laws
- Limitations on abortion coverage in private insurance plans
- Restrictions on the availability of abortion procedures using medication
- 53% of women now live in states considered hostile to abortion rights
It is imperative that we continue our work to increase the number of pro-choice women in elective office. Politicians who know the immediate and dire consequences to women’s health when access is denied and women truly have no choice.
Stand with the Caucus as we work at both the Federal and State level to protect the rights of all women so that 2014 will see a reverse in this disheartening trend. We must work to protect the rights our foremothers paved for us and generations to come.